Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Where the Oven meets the Freezer

I recently went to visit a dear friend who lives in Western Pennsylvania’s Amish country. She fed me well and graciously met the challenge of catering to my family’s food allergies and sensitivities. We got there about a week after the Maple Harvest. Before our arrival, my friend frittered away some fresh maple syrup and maple sugar for my pantry. A trip to the Amish-run grocer was on the agenda. I picked up a jar of apple butter and my friend says, “Ooooh, I see an Apple Brown Betty in your future!” Psychic as she may be, I was not quick enough to put together a recipe before it got too hot to turn on the oven.

Then, it hit me! Why not make an Apple Brown Betty sorbet? Ah, inspiration! After looking up several recipes for ingredients, I decided upon an oatmeal base because of its thickening property. If you are gluten intolerant, please note that in farming practices, oats are rotated with wheat. Cross contamination occurs, so make sure your oats are labeled gluten-free.

The first attempt was good, but not as flavorful as I would like it. The cold of this frozen treat will somewhat numb the taste buds. I added more spices and apple butter on the second attempt. And YUM!


For the Apple Brown Betty Sorbet recipe, click here..

Eat well and be well,

Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment